G




St. George Unofficial Bank Holiday

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Dennis Bergkamp - The Dutch Master

Bergkamp set for Arsenal farewell
Dennis Bergkamp will have mixed emotions as he formally retires from football with a testimonial between Arsenal and Ajax on Saturday.

The 54,000 sell-out is the first to be played at the new Emirates Stadium.

"A club like Arsenal deserves such a stadium, and I'm sorry I won't be a part of it," said the 37-year-old.

"But I had a tremendous career at Highbury and it is time to move on. I've had a great time, I really enjoyed myself. I really enjoyed my career."

Bergkamp has been with the Gunners for 11 years having joined from Inter Milan in a £7.5m deal in 1995. Full Story

Dennis Bergkamp's career in football

Arsenal chants of "We've got Dennis Bergkamp" will be a thing of the past once the Dutchman plays his final game on Saturday.

One of English football's greatest imports bows out after 25 years in the game with a testimonial. Full Story and photos

Lee Dixon on Bergkamp
"During my time at Arsenal I was lucky to play alongside fantastic players like Tony Adams, Thierry Henry and Ian Wright. But Dennis Bergkamp topped the lot." Full Story

Rioch pays tribute to Bergkamp
"Paying that money for him was not a risk," Rioch told BBC Sport.

"I've taken bigger risks paying £100,000 for a player at a Second Division club when that was all the money the club had and you had to get it right.

"It was an easy signing - Dennis was blessed with great talent, technique and he fitted perfectly into the way I wanted the team to play." Full Story

More
The Independent - There's only one Dennis Bergkamp
The Guardian - The end of the beginning as Bergkamp bows out
The Times - All change as Bergkamp bows out
The Mail - Bergkamp broke the mould for foreigners

Thanks for the memories
Leave fur where it belongs