G




St. George Unofficial Bank Holiday

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Quotes of the week - BBCi

One used to like football, you know
"Football's a difficult business and aren't they prima donnas?"
The Queen gives her verdict on the beautiful game to Premier League chairman Sir David Richards.

"We'll see you in the second half for the next part of the Uriah Rennie show."
Stadium announcer at Deepdale has a swipe at the referee during the Preston-Palace game.

"I recorded a little bit of the gaffer on my mobile phone buying 23 train tickets to get to QPR. I am thinking about what to do with the clip!"
Coventry striker Leon McKenzie pokes fun at Micky Adams after he ordered the whole squad on to the tube when they got stuck in London traffic.

"I think my wife was having serious doubts about whether I was a footballer or not. At least I can show her a bit of proof. She can watch it on TV and see her husband actually does have a job!"
Forgotten man Malcolm Christie scores on his comeback for Middlesbrough after a lengthy injury lay-off.

"The wife told me it looked as if I knew what I was doing a bit more!"
Boro boss Gareth Southgate explains why he switched from tracksuits to suits on the touchline.

"If we can bat like that for the next 20 days and if our bowlers get it right we'll be OK."
Kevin Pietersen gives his expert tips on how to retain the Ashes.

"Ferenc Puskas might have been the original Andy Reid."
New Charlton manager Les Reed gets slightly carried away with the performance of his namesake against Everton.

"I don't believe it. There must be a rule that says we don't go through. I will wake up tomorrow and find someone has scored an extra goal against us somewhere. I better check teletext tomorrow to make sure."
Celtic manager Gordon Strachan, after a 1-0 win over Manchester United carried the Scottish club into the Champions League knockout stages.

"I had to laugh at one stage how well I was playing."
A modest Roger Federer finds it hilarious that he gave James Blake a pasting in the season-ending Masters Cup final.

"There is no substitute for playing in front of 80,000 people. Going to Tesco isn't quite the same."
Wales rugby union star Ryan Jones, who is nine games into a comeback after shoulder reconstruction surgery.

"I love big managers moaning. I hope Jose Mourinho is moaning as much as Arsene after we play Chelsea on Wednesday."
Bolton manager Sam Allardyce enjoys beating Arsenal.

"They weren't happy about the penalty but they calmed down a bit when I pointed out theirs was 15 yards offside."
Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill after the 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough.

"There was one point when Puskas cut back inside Billy Wright and took him so far out of the game he had to pay three and six to get back into the ground!"
Sir Alex Ferguson pays tribute to the late Ferenc Puskas.

"Six years ago Iceland didn't have any indoor football halls - now we've got up to six. They are used all the time - as well as in the evening."
Icelandic agent Olafur Gardarsson on some of the successes of new West Ham supremo Eggert Magnusson.

"That first ball gave everyone on our team a lift. Harmison got better through the game, but he had to get better I guess!"
Ricky Ponting can't resist putting the boot in after Steve Harmison's woeful performance for England in the disastrous first Ashes Test.
Leave fur where it belongs