G




St. George Unofficial Bank Holiday

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Illegal Immigrants

You know how I have felt about illegal Mexican immigrants in this country: I've ranted and raved and carried on about them for years.

That changed six months ago when I met the surviving members of the Lopez family, all seven of whom are pictured in the attached photograph.

Once I heard the tragic story of how they were orphaned by a mudslide in Mexico that left them with little more than the sombreros on their heads, my heart melted and I could not help but reach out to embrace them.

Accordingly, in defiance of United States immigration policies, I have taken them into my home and given them a semblance of the family they tragically lost.

While that action has been tremendously gratifying, it has not come without significant personal hardship and sacrifice. The cost of providing for the needs of seven new family members has been substantial.

Remember: We are a nation of immigrants, and we must not close the door just because we are fortunate enough to already be inside.
Leave fur where it belongs